Los Trancos Woods Community Association

Minutes of the Meeting of the Board

May 10, 2006, 7:00 p.m.

 

 

Attendees:    Nelson Dake, Linda Drey-Nightingale, Julie Duncan, Arthur Nielsen, Peri Nielsen, and Jamie Sovereign. Julie led the meeting.

 

Public Comment: None.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Julie gave the Treasurer’s Report. A discussion ensued regarding the number of District I and III residents who were delinquent in their dues.

 

Newsletter: A request was made to forward article ideas to Linda.

 

Emergency Preparedness: Arthur provided an update on the Earthquake Drill that occurred on April 28. He noted that attendance was affected, likely because the Drill occurred on a Friday evening. There were approximately 10 residents at the Drill headquarters (the Hunners’ garage) and several people on the field, responding to simulations. Arthur said that 6 out of the 10 simulated emergencies he posted were responded to, which was a good outcome all in all.

 

A discussion ensued. Peri commented that the people responding to her simulation noted that District I did not appear to have any residents participating. Peri also suggested that the Emergency Preparedness team should consider providing interim updates on the 911 line to inform the community about events and resources available to them.

In addition, reception on the 911 radio line was poor. Nelson also reported problems contacting the headquarters on the 511 line.

 

Arthur and Jamie agreed that reception was a problem. Arthur indicated that he was planning to conduct a test of the radio “dead spots” in the community in response to the reception issues. He is also planning to provide feedback to the whole community on the Drill in the upcoming Newsletter. Peri remarked that the feedback might include reminder to the community that money alone will not prepare us for an actual emergency. In-person participation is critical.

 

Jamie has purchased medical supplies to replace outdated medical kit items identified by Michael Glenn. She will get these items to Michael Glenn so he can restock. Outdated supplies would be used for the animal kits. Jamie also reported on an Animal Preparedness Drill she conducted with the assistance of the Wurtz family, which Drill included compiling an inventory of supplies (e.g., crates, bowls, etc.). Jamie would like to obtain modest funding from the Board to assist in this effort. The Board agreed to consider any funding requests. A general discussion ensued about the need to conduct a follow-up survey to account for the pets in the community and to seek donations for supplies and the like.

 

Jamie also indicated that the Emergency Preparedness team needed help with respect to reviewing, on a regular basis, the status of all medical supplies and resources in the community. Arthur agreed to follow up with Linda Carlson to see if she would be willing to assist in this regard and/or to seek other community volunteers. Arthur and Jamie indicated that the Emergency Preparedness team would conduct a meeting to discuss all of these issues and report to the Board at its next meeting.

 

Jamie also informed the Board that the community surveys (including contact information, data regarding household members, particular needs and/or abilities) needed to be updated. Zach Wurtz had provided invaluable assistance by creating a new form survey, which will be distributed, at least in the first instance, to new residents. Thank you, Zach! A discussion ensued about converting this form into an electronic version, which could be disseminated, updated regularly, and transferred to a community-wide database.

 

Directory: Julie reported that Gale Smith told her the Directory was in good shape.

 

Picnic: The Board agreed that the next LTW picnic would take place on September 17 at the Dake’s house, unless that date conflicted with Portola Valley’s Blues & BBQ event. Linda will check (later Linda confirmed that there is no conflict so the Picnic will occur on September 17). Julie will also check to see if Armin Staprans would like to host the event on his property. If the Dakes host the picnic, they have requested additional assistance in setting up and cleaning and that the barbecue be fashioned in a “bring and cook your own meat” fashion. The Board agreed.

 

Dog Poop Pick-Up Initiative: The Board discussed whether it should sponsor and install containers for plastic bags, which dog owners can use to pick up after their pets. The Board agreed that this was a worthwhile effort. Linda is going to contact Tom Maddox to see if he would be willing to build the containers. Nelson agreed to take the lead on this project and to conduct maintenance checks to make sure the containers have an ample supply of bags. Jamie offered to donate some bags at the outset and also suggested that the initiative start off with a community-wide “clean up” day for all residents with dogs.

 

Unleashed/Unaccompanied Dogs: The Board briefly discussed the issue of LTW residents’ allowing their dogs to wander freely, unleashed or accompanied by their owners. The Board agreed that this was a serious issue, which not only aggravated the “poop” problem but also posed serious safety risks to both humans and pets. Particular owners were discussed, and the Board agreed to attempt to address the problem by contacting the owners personally. If those attempts fail, the Board agreed to consider other measures, including getting the County involved.

 

Vista Verde Community Association: Jamie reported to the Board that she has been experiencing increasing incidents of speeding drivers (as well as drivers who cross double-yellow lines to pass) on Los Trancos Road between Alpine and Ramona. She suggested that, because this is an issue of concern to both LTW and Vista Verde (because it presents a safety issue and the two communities share common roadways), the Board might invite Vista Verde Community Association’s representatives to meet with the LTWCA to discuss this and other issues. The Board discussed and agreed that such a meeting was a good idea for a host of reasons. Linda is going to invite the Vista Verde Community Association’s officers to attend the next LTWCA meeting (Linda later confirmed that at least two representatives from Vista Verde will attend our next meeting).

 

The next LTWCA meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. on July 12, 2006 at 1074 Los Trancos Road. Julie will lead that meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted, Peri Nielsen, LTWCA Secretary.